About the Artist.
Suraj Nepal, The Esraj player born in Nepal started a love affair with music since his childhood. He grew up listening to folk and religious tunes played during various festivals in Kathmandu. At the age of 10 he started playing madal (A Nepali percussion) and started singing folk songs since his school days. As years passed, his interest in eastern classical music and instruments grew. That’s when he met a musician friend of a relative that introduced him to Esraj and encouraged him to learn the instrument. He learnt Esraj from Guru Santosh Bhakta Shrestha who then was the only person in Nepal to play the instrument. He too was his only disciple. He received a diploma in Esraj and in 2007. Since then he’s won many accolades, performed with many international artists, played many projects, bands and function. He’s benchmark performances include Playing for Change Organization, Varanasi International Ashram, Udaipur Shilpgram Festival, CPI NTOK 2014 Korea and Wumeng Grassland Music Festival China 2016, Inner Mongolia China 2018 & Wilma Israel 2019 etc.
4 YEARS SENIOR DIPLOMA IN ESRAJ FROM PRAYAG SANGEET SAMITI, ALLAHABAD, INDIA\
- SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED “2014 CULTURAL PARTNERSHIP INITIATIVE(CPI)- TRADITIONAL MUSIC TRAINING PROGRAM” AT NATIONAL THEATER OF KOREA
2. SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED 2014 KOREAN LANGUAGE PROGRAM HELD AT
INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION KYUNG HEE UNIVERSITY, KOREA
- SPECIAL EXTRA ORDINARY AWARDS, KALANIDHI INDIRA SANGIT MAHAVIDYALAYA
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE AWARD FROM CULTURAL PROMOTION FORUM
- CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION FROM SAGARMATHA TELEVISIO CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION FROM BADHYA SIROMANI GHARANA
Worked as Music Teacher at North Valley English Secondary School(2012-2014) Kathmandu Columbus School 2017-2018
Jeonju International Sori Festival, Korea
Playing for change foundation(USA & International)
Wilima(Usa & Israel)
Artlist Ltd. , Israel
WOMINI ( World Music Institute of Northern Israel)
CPI NATIONAL THEATER OF KOREA 2014
Mountain Music Project(USA/NEPAL)
- GLOBAL ECHOES
- LIQUID DAWN
- NEPALI FOLKLAYA
- SAMAYA CHAKRA
- THE SILK WAY.
- SPIRITUAL HEALING ALBUM(Raag Brindavani Sarang)
- MONGOLIAN VOICE(Samsarachakra)
- Feature Film,- THE SPONSOR, Director: Pranay Limbu
- Documentary- Hernai Parne Mahamanvharu,Director: Dipendra Bhandary
- Documentary for Maiti Nepal, Director: Saroj Manandhar
- Documentary for Practical Action, Director: Saroj Manandhar
- Short Film-Act Locally Think Globally, Director: Ishu Lama & Santoshi Nepal
- PSA-Witchcraft awareness PSA for OHCHR, Director: Pranay Limbu
A picture with various reputed artists from around the globe. Representing Nepal at CPI NTOK 2014 in South Korea. Suraj also gave a solo Esraj performance with the backing of Korean orchestra from National Theatre of Korea.